System Number: 12711
Date: [20 December 1868]
Author: Charles Samuel Keene
Recipient: Edwin Edwards
Repository: Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge
Call Number: Sir Herbert Thompson Gift, 1920, Keene Letters 32
Document Type: ALS
55 Baker Street
Sunday evening 20th
[p. 4] [...] If you will be in town next summer won't you join the Arts Club? We want to get artists to join as we have succeeded in ousting some of the Philistines. I saw Jemmy W. there last night & am going to see his picture tomorrow morning[,] he is painting in Poynters Old Studio in Great Russel [sic] [p. 5] St. [...]
[p. 6] [...]
yours very sincerely
Charles S. Keene
Envelope:E. Edwards Esq.
[postmark:] LONDON S.W / W7 / DE 21 / 68
[postmark:] PENZANCE / B / DE 22 / 68
1. [20 December 1868]
Dated from the postmark.
4. Arts Club
The Arts Club was a social club founded in March 1863 by Arthur James Lewis (1824-1901), painter and illustrator [more], owner of the haberdashery firm Lewis and Allenby, but also a keen musician and Field Talfourd, a lawyer and playwright. Its membership of 200 or so during the 1860s comprised mainly artists and writers but included the professions.
Possibly he means the Club's subtantial body of amateur and non-artistic members. Academicians formed another significant portion of the membership. The aims of the Club were broader than its title suggests: its stated aims were 'to facilitate the social intercourse of those connected either professionally or as amateurs with Art, Literature or Science.' See Denvir, Bernard, A Most Agreeable Society: A hundred and twenty-five years of the Arts Club, London, 1989, p. 10.
6. Jemmy W
Edward John Poynter (1836-1919), history and genre painter [more]. JW painted in the studio of Frederick Jameson (1839-1916), architect and musician [more], at 62 Great Russell Street in the spring of 1868 and then again in December, when he was at work on The Three Girls. It had formerly been Poynter's studio (see Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, pp. 147-48).