The Corresponence of James McNeil Whistler
Home > On-line Edition > Transcription/Database Record

the on-line edition

System Number: 03153
Date: [24 March 1896][1]
Author: JW
Place: London
Recipient: Arthur Haythorne Studd[2]
Place: London
Repository: Glasgow University Library
Call Number: MS Whistler LB 4/205/3-206
Document Type: MsLc[3]

Savoy Hotel.

My dear Peter -

The thing to do will be to let Richardson[4] have the picture[5] - and I will see him tomorrow morning and preside myself at the varnishing - After all it is his own varnish that was upon it - and he will [p. 2] therefore be full of care and everything will come right at once - Doubtless the two journeys over the ocean have chilled the varnish - but the painting is in its perfect condition -

Always yours.

J. McN. Whistler

I must have you up at my studio directly and will write - We go to Hampstead[6] on Wednesday I think -

This document is protected by copyright.


Arthur Studd Esq
97. Cheyne Walk.
[postmark:] 'March 24th 1896'


1.  [24 March 1896]
Dated from the postmark recorded by the copyist. However, there is some doubt about this, as the picture is mentioned as arriving only four days later, on 28 March 1896 (#09739).

2.  Arthur Haythorne Studd
Arthur ('Peter') Haythorne Studd (1863-1919), painter and collector [more]. He had been known as 'Peter' since his art student days.

3.  MsLc
Copied by Rosalind Birnie Philip (1873-1958), JW's sister-in-law [more].

4.  Richardson
Stephen Richards (b. ca 1845), picture restorer [more]. 'Richardson' may be JW's own error or an error in R. B. Philip's transcription.

5.  picture
Nocturne: Black and Gold - The Fire Wheel (YMSM 169). JW had received the picture back from the New York dealer Edward G. Kennedy to find it in a bad state (JW to E. G. Kennedy, #09745). He took it immediately to Richards for revarnishing. Soon afterwards, Studd purchased it for £1000 guineas.

6.  Hampstead
JW was about to move to St Jude's Cottage, Heath End, Hampstead, as his wife, Beatrix Whistler (1857-1896), née Beatrice Philip, artist [more], was dying of cancer. He seems not have moved from the Savoy until after Wednesday, 25 March as he was still using its address on 3 April (see JW to E. G. Kennedy, #09742).