James Aumonier was a painter.
Aumonier painted quiet pastoral landscapes and animals in oil and watercolour. He studied drawing at the Birkbeck Institution, Marlborough House and South Kensington Schools. He initially worked as a designer of printed calicoes, but in 1862 began landscape painting under the influence of Lionel Smythe and W. L. Wyllie. From 1870 he exhibited his work in London at the Royal Academy, British Institution, Fine Art Society, New Watercolour Society, Grosvenor Gallery, New Gallery, Society of British Artists (which appointed JW its President in 1886) and the International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers (which formed in 1898 with JW as its President).
He was elected a member of the New English Art Club in 1887, an associate of the Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours in 1876, a full member of the latter in 1879 and a member of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters in 1909. Many of his international exhibits were awarded with medals. His Sheep Washing in Sussex (1889) was bought by the Chantrey Bequest in 1889, and his The Black Mountains in 1905.
Wood, Christopher, Dictionary of Victorian Painters, Woodbridge, 1971; Johnson, J. and A. Gruetzner, Dictionary of British Artists 1880-1940, Woodbridge, 1980; http://www.getty.edu/research (accessed 2003).