Bryan Lathrop was a real estate investor, collector of prints and drawings, and Trustee of the Chicago Art Institute.
Lathrop formed a very important collection of JW's etchings, which he bequeathed to the Art Institute of Chicago. He moved to Chicago in 1865, where he was a member of the Caxton Club. He became a Trustee of the Art Institute in 1893/1894, a post he held until 1916. He was a member of the Orchestral Association, a Trustee of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra from 1894 to 1898, and then the Symphony Orchestra's Vice-President from 1894 to 1898 and President from 1899 to 1916. He was also a Trustee of the Newbery Library from 1896 to 1916 and the Guarantor of the Poetry magazine.
Who Was Who in America, vol. 1, 1897-1942, Chicago, 1943; Horowitz, Helen Lefkowitz, Culture and the City: Cultural Philanthropy in Chicago from the 1880s to 1917, Lexington, Kentucky, 1976.