George James Drummond, of Swaylands, near Penshurst in Kent, was a banker. In June 1876 he married Elizabeth Norman.
Drummond was a partner in the family banking firm of Drummond and Co., 49 Charing Cross. He worked there for 58 years from 1859. He was a friend of the young Prince of Wales, later Edward VII. He then lived at Knipton near Belvoir. In 1863 he was living at 11 Wilton Street, Chelsea. In 1866 he subscribed £1000 to the Central Hall of Arts and Sciences, Exhibition Road, South Kensington. His fortune of £60,000 p.a. was derived largely from the Adelphi, which he owned from 1867 when all the leases fell in. He was Treasurer of the Charing Cross Hospital and a devout churchgoer but querulous and domineering at the Bank where he was nicknamed 'The Dragon'. He famously created the biggest rock garden in the world. JW banked with Drummonds from 1859. In the 1880s Drummond was resident at 14 Belgrave Square, London.
Simpson's Chelsea etc Guide, London 1863; ABC Court Directory and Fashionable Guide for London, London, 1871; The Chelsea Pimlico and Belgravia Directory, London, 1881; The Chelsea, Pimlico and Belgravia Directory 'Buff Book', London, 1885.