George Henry Cadogan, who became the fifth Earl of Cadogan in 1873, was a politician and diplomat. He was the son of the fourth Earl and Mary Sarah, the third daughter of the Hon. Rev. G. V. Wellesley. His great uncle was the first Duke of Wellington. In 1865 he married Lady Beatrix Jane Craven, the fourth daughter of the second Earl of Craven, and together they had a son, Henry Arthur Cadogan, who was born in 1868.
Cadogan, who lived at Chelsea House, Cadogan Place, London, was the M.P. for Bath in 1873, Under-Secretary for War in 1875, Under-Secretary for Colonies from 1878 until 1880, Lord Privy Seal from 1886 until 1892, Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland from 1895 until 1902, and was created first Mayor of Chelsea in 1900.
JW was a tenant of Cadogan's in Chelsea. Cadogan took an active interest in his career and wrote to him from Munich in November 1888 concerning the closure of the 3rd Internationale Kunst-Austellung in the Königlichen Glaspalast, an exhibition to which JW had sent thirteen oils, twenty watercolours, seven pastels and thirty etchings.
Burke, Bernard, A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland, 2 vols, London, 1894; Debrett's Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage, London, 1896; Who's Who, London, 1905; Who Was Who: A Companion to Who's Who, vol. 1, 1897/1915, London, 1920-21; Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980.