Clayton was a sculptor.
Clayton started work as a sculptor and assistant to Sir Gilbert Scott, which was presumably how he came into contact with J. B. Philip. He became a stained glass designer, and chief partner in Clayton and Bell, stained glass manufacturers and glasspainters at 311 Regent Street, then 24a Cardington Street, Hampstead Road, London. He was a member of The Arts Club, 1883-1917.
Kelly's London Postal Directory, London, 1860, 1861.