John Francis Bentley was an architect and designer.
Bentley joined the firm of Henry Clutton in 1857. Having converted to Catholicism in 1861, he worked almost exclusively for the Church from then on. His designs characteristically explored an English gothic style and together with A W. N. Pugin, he became a leading Catholic architect of the Gothic Revival in Britain. His first major commission was the Westminster Diocesan Seminary (1876–88; Hammersmith, London). His most celebrated achievement was Westminster Cathedral, begun in 1895 but not completed until after his death. He was also concerned with interiors, notably the decoration of Carlton Towers (1875–90), North Yorkshire, for Henry, 9th Lord Beaumont (1848–92) for which he designed the furniture, wallpaper and light fittings.
Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford; Who was who: a cumulated index, 1897-1990, London, 1991; O' Donnell, Roderick, 'John Francis Bentley,' The Grove Dictionary of Art Online, ed. L. Macy (accessed 15/10/03).